With so many essential oils out there, it can be difficult to know everything there is to know about all of them. We’re here to help! One of the best oils around is Helichrysum. Here are 9 things you need to know about this marvelous oil.
- There are approximately 600 species in the Helichrysum family. We offer two varieties as essential oils: bracteiferum and italicum. Helichrysum bracteiferum is the more common of the two.
- Its name it derived from the Greek words ‘Helios’ meaning Sun and ‘Chrysos’ meaning Gold.
- Some varieties of Helichrysum are referred to as “everlasting” and “immortal,” because when the plant is dried, it stays the same shape and color. The petals of the plant were used in Medieval Europe as a stewing herb.
- Helichrysum italicumis found primarily in the Balkan Peninsula and is extremely rare. Its shelf life is longer than most other essential oils.
- Helichrysum bracteiferumis found in France, Bosnia, Italy, and Spain, and is more abundant than other varieties.
- Helichrysum is choc-full of antioxidants, making it a wonder for keeping you and your skin looking and feeling great.
- Both varieties are beneficial for topical application, helping minimize the appearance of scarring and wrinkles. It can also be applied to skin to help with minor sunburns.
- Helichrysum bracteiferum is helpful for not only easing aches and pains, but also reducing the appearance of bruising. This oil helps promote circulation of the blood, easing pain associated with arthritis.
- It’s a wonder for strong and healthy hair growth, and it can even be used on your canine companion.
And that’s just the beginning. Check out more information about Helichysum italicum in our Essential Oils A to Z Series.